Thursday, January 30, 2014

The RARE Day Date

If you are a couple with young kids, then you know how rare the "DAY DATE" is...

I actually prefer a day date.  I am what I call a "Happy Hour" girl.  Meaning, I like to drink and go out between the hours of 2pm-6pm when the opportunity presents itself.  If I'm feeling randy, then I may push it until 8pm (I know, I'm a rebel. Be afraid) But I have always said (and if you've known me for a while, then you've heard me say this) nothing good comes out of a bar past 10pm.  The hubby "BDG" and I got the opportunity at a Day Date last Sunday.  See how excited I am??!  I had to take a random selfie in its honor!



So one of my goals for 2014 is to visit as many Virginia Wineries as I possibly can.  I had wanted to check out a few in the New Kent area, but after being up since 4:30am for inventory at work, I decided I was too tired for the drive.  So "BDG" and I decided on staying local and I'm sooooo glad we did!  We decided to spend our Day Date and the Dog Street Pub in Colonial Williamsburg.  I had no expectations of the place good or bad.  I remember when it first opened, "Red Baby" was only a month old so our free time was a lil preoccupied with her.  But I had heard good things about the food from family members, so that's where we went... And boy was I surprised!  I was actually shocked because my family members only commented about how good the food is and when we got there and got our menus, there is 1 page dedicated to food and 2 whole large pages AND a specials menu dedicated to beer, ciders, meads ect... My Day Date cup floweth over!!  It felt like hitting the Day Date Jackpot!!! Maybe I need new family members?! lol just kidding, I love the ones I have!

See, TWO full pages of BEER!
 



AND a Beer Specials Menu
 
I have to say that it was very educational as well.... On the menus are a lil history part about the beer and also the alcohol content.  The beer specials menu is where you can order what they call a "taste."  It's actually a sample of the beer in a 5ounce glass. Perfect for getting together with friends and sampling.  The food was exceptional too. 
 
 When you first get seated, they immediately bring you out a growler of ice cold water. 
 
 
 Yummy Fish n Chips

 What not to order tho is this pictured above.. It's good and all but you can get it in your local grocery store for 1.00, not the menu price of 4.00
 
 "BDG" ordered an iceberg lettuce salad.. he had no idea it was a full head of lettuce.  BONUS!
 
And a plate of deviled eggs, which he quickly killed 3 upon their arrival.  I have never seen a restaurant serve deviled eggs.  Another BONUS!
 
And I decided to go with a Cider.  I love ciders and have never tried a pear one, which means it is actually called a Perry (per the menu)  It was really good. 
 
 
Overall, I more than recommend this place and I am looking forward to going back!  Here is the link to their website, check it out! Dog Street Pub
 
CHEERS!
 
Christine
xoxoxo



4 comments:

  1. A new place to try when I come visit in March!! Can't wait! Can we go on a day date together? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you had the Lagunitas Sucks -- a fantastic beer. I also love that you can get an Epic from Salt Lake on tap -- a collaboration between Epic and DC Brau -- but we can't in Salt Lake.

      Delete
    2. I didn't try try the Lagunitas sucks, but Chris was giving me the back story on that beer. Funny story too!! I'm gonna save ur recommendations for when j9 gets here so we can try them together. I'm excited!

      Delete